So you’re looking to study in Perth? Good choice. Perth is renowned for it’s beautiful beaches, sunny weather, and laid-back people. But beyond aesthetics…it’s important you choose the right university! Especially for students on exchange in Australia. In which case, here’s our list of the top universities in Perth and a guide to what makes them so special!
PERTH UNI #1 THE UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Welcome to UWA, Perth’s oldest and grandest university!
First on our best universities hit list: The University of Western Australia! UWA is Perth’s oldest and grandest university. Founded in 1911, with a beautiful campus and sandstone buildings, UWA is also the only Western Australian university that comprises of Australia’s Australia’s top eight leading research universities! Located right next to the Swan River in Crawley, it’s a beautiful campus that will be perfect for a few snaps when you’re not busy studying or attending lectures!
UWA is a great choice; ranked #91 in the world by QS World University Rankings and boasting famous alumni such as former Australian prime minister Bob Hawke and Nobel Prize Laureate Barry J. Marshall.
What Can You Study At UWA?
UWA has a very broad selection of courses available and offers courses in the faculties of:
• Arts, Business, Law, Education
• Engineering and Mathematical Sciences
• Health and Medical Sciences
• Indigenous Studies
There’s a wide range available and we recommend viewing their course list to find the right course for you.
• For domestic students, the average required ATAR score is 91.7.
• For international students, The University of Western Australia has listed entry requirements for each country.
• A minimum overall IELTS score of 6.5 is required. Alternative English language requirements are also accepted.
PERTH UNI #2 CURTIN UNIVERSITY
With over 58,000 students!Curtin University is the largest university Perth and Western Australia! Curtin has a very large international student population and is very active in areas such as resources and energy, business, and public health.
Located in the suburb of Bentley, Curtin is well connected to the rest of Perth by their own bus station!
What Can You Study At Curtin?
Curtin has a wide range of courses that fall under the five-discipline based study areas of:
• Aboriginal Studies
• Business and Law
• Health Sciences
• Science and Engineering
You should look at Curtin’s course list page to find a full list of available courses. Curtin is heavily involved in industry, particularly mining and petroleum – you’ll find plenty of industry contacts here!
• For domestic students, all courses require a minimum ATAR of 70.00. Curtin University offers an ATAR profile for each course based on the most recent intake period.
• International students should refer to the Curtin international students page for all information about requirement based on your country.
• An overall IETLS score of 6.5 is required. For alternate requirements refer to Curtin University English Prerequisites.
PERTH UNI #3 MURDOCH UNIVERSITY
Murdoch University is Western Australia’s second university, opening in 1973. Murdoch is notable for being the only university in Western Australia that has a veterinarian school – so if you dream of becoming a vet this is the place for you! There’s a big choice though!
What Can You Study At Murdoch?
Murdoch has a broad selection of courses, you might choose to study anything in the faculties of:
• Engineering and IT
• Psychology and Exercise Science
• Veterinary and Life Sciences
Murdoch is unique in that it’s the only university in Western Australia that offers veterinary science courses, so if you dream of becoming a vet it’s the obvious choice for you. Have a look at the full list of courses to find what’s right for you!
• For domestic students, most course require a minimum ATAR of 70. For course-specific requirements, including international student requirements, refer to Murdoch’s course search.
• An overall IETLS score of at least 6.0 is required. Visit Murdoch’s page for more information including alternate requirements.
PERTH UNI #4 UNIVERSITY OF NOTRE DAME
Notre Dame is a Catholic university located in Fremantle, south of Perth. It’s a good choice if you’re looking for a well-rounded education.
Notre Dame is the top ranked university in Perth and Australia for ‘overall quality of education experience’ and ‘skills scale’, according to QILT. Notre Dame is also great when it comes to the international student experience in Perth.
What Can You Study At Notre Dame?
Notre Dame has a range of courses available in the faculties of:
• Arts & Sciences
• Health Sciences
• Nursing & Midwifery
• Philosophy & Theology
Notre Dame is unique in their teaching structure requiring you to study their core curriculum of theology, philosophy, and ethics. It’s also one of the best places to study nursing or physiotherapy, as it offers a large amount of practical hours increasing your chances of a job come graduation!
• For domestic students, Notre Dame requires a minimum ATAR score of 70. For more information including alternate entry requirements, visit the university’s page.
• For international students, the university has a full guide for your country available.
• An IELTS overall score of 6.5 is required. For alternate requirements, visit the English language proficiency requirements page.
PERTH UNI #5 EDITH COWAN UNIVERSITY
Established in 1991, ECU is one of the best and newest universities in Perth, with two campuses in Joondalup and Mt Lawley. Despite only being a university since 1991, ECU was formed from an amalgamation of teaching colleges, and has history dating back to 1902!
What Can You Study At ECU?
ECU has various course you might choose to study from their faculties of:
• Arts & Humanities
• Business & Law
• Medical & Health Services
• Nursing & Midwifery
• Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts (WAAPA)
ECU is well known for its world class performing arts school at WAAPA, which makes it the best university in Perth for performing arts students. Coupled with this, ECU first began life as a set of teaching colleges – and this tradition continues to this day with a great teaching education!
• For domestic students, all courses require a minimum ATAR of at least 70.
• International students can find information for their specific country at the university’s secondary school results page.
• An IELTS score of 6.0 is required. Alternate eligible qualifications are available to view on the ECU English competency page.
There you have it: Perth’s universities. We hope you find the right university and student accommodation to suit your needs.